Summer baking has it’s ups and down. Being inside is such a downer when the sun is shining and begging you to come out and play in the yard! But being able to access such fresh fruit cannot be beat! You have to make time when you can so you can enjoy all the flavors summer has to offer. This cake has it all. It’s refreshing, delicious and is worth the extra effort.
- 3 c flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ c granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- ¹⁄ ³ c lemon juice
- 1 c vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c fresh blueberries
- 1 cool whip container, thawed
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs lemon zest
- 1 ½ c powdered sugar
- 1 cheesecake flavored pudding package
- 1 tbs lemon zest (for the top)
- Candied lemon recipe here
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease two 9″ round cake pans with butter and coat with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- With a mixer, thoroughly cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time until mixed. Add in lemon zest, juice, yogurt and vanilla. Slowly add in flour mixture. Add vegetable oil. Stir in blueberries with a spoon.
- Divide batter between two cake pans and lightly slam pans on the counter to even out batter. Bake 25-35 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test!
- Let cool 20 minutes and remove from pans to cool on wire rack.
- Ice cake once it’s completely cooled.
- Top with lemon zest and decorate sides with candied lemon slices!
Beat cool whip, cream cheese, lemon zest and juice with mixer. Slowly add in powdered sugar and pudding package. Mix until icing forms.
**Be careful not to OVER MIX batter. This can cause cakes to “fall” once removed from oven.
** I keep (most) of my cakes in the fridge to maintain freshness until it is served. Especially cakes with cream cheese frosting!