Every household needs a recipe for a good old-fashioned meatloaf- it’s a staple of American cooking! I like to make a big meatloaf, even though it’s normally just for the three of us. Because the only thing better than meatloaf dinner is leftover meatloaf sandwiches with a LOT of mayo and ketchup! (Unless your name is Chelsy, who hates meatloaf. But you cannot trust a girl who likes chewy bacon!😜 😘)
My husband says he thinks my meatloaf tastes as good as his moms. Which is a pretty darn good compliment considering she was a home economics teacher. I’ve had hers and it is delicious!
This recipe is really easy to make and can be prepped in less than 15 minutes. I stole the idea of topping it with onions and green peppers from my mother-in-law. I had no idea what I was missing out on until I had hers years ago. Now I never make my meatloaf without them! I just used beef this time because it’s what I had in the fridge but you can mix it up and substitute a ½ pound of the beef with ground pork, too!
- 2 lbs ground beef (or 1 ½ ground beef and ½ ground pork)
- 1 ½ c bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs milk
- 2 tbs ketchup
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp original Borsari
- 1 onion, sliced and quartered
- ½ green pepper, cut in chunks
- ¾ c ketchup
- ¾ c BBQ sauce
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Mix breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, ketchup, diced onion and seasonings in a large bowl. Then add in ground beef. Mix together with your hands until it’s all combined really well.
- Form it into the typical meatloaf shape and place in a greased, oven safe baking dish. Top with quartered onions and chunks of peppers.
- Mix ingredients for the sauce together and pour on top of meatloaf and veggies.
- Cover with foil (or lid for the baking dish if it has one) and cook for 1 hour. Take out and remove foil (or lid) and return to oven for an additional 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!