We have the Joe man on a new nap schedule so he has been sleeping in and giving me extra time in the morning alone. So naturally, I start baking. Early morning is my favorite time to bake. In the winter, I’ll be up at 5am making cookies and drinking coffee. It’s my “me time”.
Anyway, Tim had a work meeting today so I thought that some dessert might be nice for everyone since life is so upside down right now in our industry. I mean c’mon, who doesn’t like cake? This cake is so quick and easy to make that it was even done baking before Joey woke up. It’s nice to have an easy dessert you can put together that tastes like you spent some real time and effort making. Hope you guys enjoy!
- 3 c applesauce
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- ½ tbs vanilla extract
- 2tbs butter, softened
- 1 (3.4 oz) package of caramel pudding
- 2 c flour
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs butter
- ½ c brown sugar
- 7 tbs heavy cream (separated into 3 tbs and 4 tbs)
- 1 ½ c powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9×13 pan with butter and coat lightly with flour.
- Sift together flour, sugar and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or standing mixer combine applesauce, cinnamon, vanilla and butter. Add in caramel pudding package.
- Add in other dry ingredients slowly and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mix into pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool 45-60 minutes before icing.
- While your cake cools you can make your icing.
- Start by melting the butter in a saucepan then adding in the brown sugar and 3 tbs of heavy cream. Let boil 1 minute.
- Pour caramel into a medium bowl and add 1/2 c of the powdered sugar. Mix with a hand mixer. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in remaining 4 tbs heavy cream, 1 c powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Use a rubber spatula to ice the cake once it is cooled completely.
* If you want to make a layered cake, I would double the icing recipe to make sure you have enough! Any leftovers you can just eat with a spoon!😋