My husband is not a really big fan of cakes (or bananas), so I don’t make them very often. But I had a ton of bananas at home since Joey is currently teething and on a toddler hunger strike. So I decided to challenge myself and make a cake even my banana hating husband would like. And to my disbelief, I did! I’m actually IN LOVE with this cake now! In the future when I’m pregnant with baby number 2, I plan on making this monthly so I can guiltlessly enjoy it.
- 2 c flour, plus a little extra for coating cake pan
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbs vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs softened butter, plus a little extra for coating cake pan
- 5 very ripe bananas
- ¾ c of cold butter, cubed
- 2 bananas, 1 mashed and 1 sliced
- ½ tbs lemon juice
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 3 ¼ c powdered sugar
- ½ tbs heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 cake pans with butter and coat lightly with flour.
- In bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mash together the bananas. Using a hand mixer is easiest but you can do it by hand, it’ll just take a little longer to smooth out the lumps. Set bowl aside.
- Using a standing mixer, thoroughly mix mashed bananas, vanilla and eggs.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients.
- Split batter between to cake pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 5 minutes take cakes out of pan and cool on wire rack.
- Once cake in cooled, all you have to do is ice the cake and decorate! The tasty and easy part! 🙂
- Cream butter thoroughly for about 5 minutes.
- Add other ingredients (minus sliced banana) and mix for 10-15 minutes until frosting is formed. If it begins to separate then mix a little longer to correct.
*You can use your hand mixer or standing mixer. I chose my standing mixer so I could hold my sous chef while he helped me taste test as we made it.