My husband has gotten hooked on Papa Bears this year and one of our favorite dishes is their eggplant parmesan. It is so simple and delicious, I can barely bring myself to order anything else. Due to the recent shelter in place order, I decided to just make my own at home. Because other than zooming cars with our son and running around outside… there’s not much else to do!
The meal turned out really great! I’m happy to add this to my cookbook at home and start using this recipe when we have people over. Hope you enjoy it, too!
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. parmesan
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lg. eggplant, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 egg
- 1 tbls. water
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- EVOO for baking
- 1/2 box of your favorite pasta
- 2-3 c. shredded mozzarella
- In small bowl whisk together egg and water. In medium bowl mix together breadcrumbs, parmesan, basil, oregano and garlic powder.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg/water mixture using fork and coat both sides. Next, thoroughly coat both sides in breadcrumb mixture.
- Lay eggplant slices on EVOO covered baking sheet and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Flip slices and put back in for an additional 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Take eggplant out and turn up to 400°.
- Boil your pasta while the eggplant bakes. Strain and put into a baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 c. of sauce into pasta and stir. Layer finished eggplant slices around top of the pasta. Pour sauce over the slices and top with cheese.
- Bake an additional 15-20 minutes at 400°.