These cookie bars are so addicting! I try to not make them often because between the three of us they are gone in no time! I was sharing a piece with Joey after they cooled and he actually took the rest and ran away with it. He’s not much into sharing when it comes to sweets! Haha.
They’re really simple to make- I first made them when Joey was three months old and I made them basically one handed because he wanted held the whole time. So if I can do it with one hand, this will be a cake walk for you.
- 4 sticks of softened butter
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1-1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tbls. vanilla extract
- 4 c. flour
- 11.5 oz jar of Smucker’s Salted Caramel (or make your own!)
- 1/2 bag of Heath toffee bits
- Using standing mixer (or hand mixer) cream together butter and sugars.
- Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add four until dough forms.
- Press 1/3 of the dough into bottom of 9×13 (greased) pan.
- Wrap remaining dough and refrigerate.
- Put pan in oven at 350° until edges brown. About 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Pour caramel and toffee bits evenly on baked dough.
- Crumble remaining dough evenly on top.
- Bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until shortbread forms on top.